A New Era for Beach Soccer
Soccer on the Beach and USL Join Forces
Soccer on the Beach joined the USL Major Beach Soccer program in 2010 with the partnership expected to grow the sport for years to come. USL has put its vast resources and experience behind existing Soccer on the Beach events with the schedule expected to grow yearly.
The new partnership is expected to bring in more teams, players, and families. What better way to spend your summer days than on the sunny beaches of Florida with a ball at your feet? Come be a part of the original, classic tournament that is … Soccer on the Beach.
Soccer on the Beach is the original beach soccer organization in the United States. Founded in 1991 by former Premier League goalkeeper Peter Mellor after visiting Copacabana in Brazil, Soccer on the Beach is a family-oriented, boys, girls, and co-ed soccer tournament held on the sunny beaches of Florida. Adults, children and families can look forward to enjoying fun-filled weekends of sun, surf and beach soccer in Daytona, Clearwater and Ft. Myers, with additional locations expected to be announced soon.
Major Beach Soccer Highlights
- A Major Beach Soccer event is a soccer festival at the beach featuring small-sided games (5 v 5) combined with social and promotional activities during the day and the evening
- Family entertainment that provides a platform for youth, adult, (male & female), recreational and competitive players to compete in a fun and exciting environment
- USL has been organizing beach soccer events in Florida for more than 20 years
- Major Beach Soccer events are two- to three-day events on the weekend
- •USL Major Beach Soccer offers the most established and professional-run beach soccer events in Florida and the U.S.A.
- FIFA recognized beach soccer officially in 2005 by hosting the first FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup in Rio de Janeiro
Major Beach Soccer Leadership
USL National Technical Director
Peter Mellor created and directed Soccer on the Beach for more than 20 years, helping to grow beach soccer’s popularity in Florida.
- Designed and authored the curriculum for the first U.S. Soccer National Goalkeeping License for coaches
- Played 17 years in the top three tiers of English professional soccer with Burnley, Fulham, Hereford United and Portsmouth
- Served as the English U-23 National Team goalkeeper from 1969-70
- United States Soccer Federation staff coach since 1992, Mellor has coached players in the US Men’s and Women’s national team programs at all levels
- Mellor has identified or coached Kasey Keller, Marcus Hahnemann, Brad Friedel, Landon Donovan, DaMarcus Beasley, Freddy Adu, Oguchi Onyewu, Michael Bradley, Bobby Convey & Tim Howard, whom he originally identified at age 14 and placed into the ODP program
Register Early – Any registration received after the due dates will not be accepted. Be sure to register early to avoid disappointment. There is a limited amount spots available.